What Parents of Teens Can Do:
- Allow minor victories: allow them to make some of their own choices as long as the choices dont harm their health or hurt their future.
- Expect some mistakes due to immaturity and inexperience.
- Help the teen to "save face": make suggestions they can use to avoid mistakes in the future.
- Praise and encourage effort and achievement. Dont use shame or comparisons.
- Support healthy relationships. Dont tolerate rudeness from teens or their friends.
- Draw the line and boundaries clearly. If teen snaps at a parent, the parent can say: "If you had a bad day, just say so. I have bad days, too."